Monday, February 16, 2009

The Joy of Equipment

My second clinic was all about mono-ski and bi-ski. Again, we had great instructors with tons of experience as well as participants who were sharing their knowledge and experience too. You might think that since I was on the Paralympic team I would know more about disabled ski equipment like the mono-ski. But I really don’t.

I was an expert on my own equipment—outriggers for an amputee. I never had to focus on other skiers. Now that I am coaching with the race team, I need to learn about a wide variety of ways to ski. Plus, the equipment is always changing and new devices are being developed. Lots of people join the clinic just to refresh themselves if they haven’t done that subject in a few years or if they want to broaden the range of disabilities they can work with.

It was fun to get to sit in the mono-ski and try to balance. I practiced putting on all the straps. I learned about the “dowel test” to balance the skier. We spent some time in the classroom as well, going over the range of disabilities that would use mono-ski and bi-ski, health issues to be aware of when skiing with mono and bi-skiers. Once again, I felt so lucky to have access to so many experts willing to take the time to pass on their experience to me.

If you are volunteering, take advantage of the clinics. If you are thinking about volunteering…you will grow! Come and join in the fun.

No comments: